Oh awkward silences, the longer they last the worse they get. Sometimes you just need to start a conversation and combat them before they get worse, so i have put together this list in no particular order:
1. Tv shows – Where would we be with out that little magic rectangle in our living room, it provides lots of entertainment and connects us to so many people who love the same shows, so if you ask someone their favourite TV shows, you may like some of them too and can have a nice chat about that for a while.
2. Talk about how you spent the weekend – Ah the weekend, some people (unlike me) have a very eventful weekend and one thing everyone loves to talk about is themselves, so if you ask someone how they spent their weekend, chances are they will have a lot to say, silence begone!
3. Have you seen…- this works with a funny video, ask the person if they have seen the video, if they haven’t seen it show it to them, laughter is the best icebreaker.
4. Gossip – gossip can be dangerous if your caught or ratted out, but there is no denying it makes for an excellent icebreaker, and will make the person feel comfortable around you, but try not to say mean things, because that will make them feel cautious around you and will not trust you.
5. hum a song – if you like a song that is quite popular, the other person may like it too, so take a chance and hope it leads to conversation
6. an embarrassing or awkward thing that has happened to you recently – This may seem hard, sharing an embarrassing story requires a lot of confidence, and you need the ability to laugh at yourself, but the other person will connect with and relate to you more afterwards
7. how do you feel about…- if there has been a controversial topic in the news recently, asking someones opinion is a great way to make them feel like they can be open and honest, especially if they have strong opinions on the topic
8. are you excited for…- if a holiday like christmas or Halloween is coming up, asking if someone is exited for it is a great way to start a conversation. It also leads to the follow-up “what do you want for christmas?”
9. What does your name mean?- as someone with an unusual name, i get this a lot. It only works if the person has a rare name that you have never really heard before.
10. If you could be anywhere in the world right now, where would it be?- I love this one, it starts a long conversations of dreams and likes, you can learn a lot about a person from the answer they give.
Thanks for stopping by!